Monday, August 17, 2009

Travel Day

Setting an alarm is one thing. turning the alarm on is another. Rachel phoned me at 5 am and woke me up. In 15 minutes I had a quick bath, threw the rest of my stuff into my bag and arrived outside in a frenzied daze. Inside the terminal the Jazz attendant said, "Beautiful Betty, you should be at the terminal at least 35 minutes to one hour before your flight," as if I didn't know the rudiments of travel. He made two phone calls to make sure me and my bag got on the flight. He told me to jump the queue because I had minutes to spare.

At security, I had to take off my jacket because of the zipper, underneath I was wearing a t-shirt that is not so much an article of clothing as a thin misting of of fabric. So, there I was in a black bra, grey corduroy skirt, black knee socks and Blundstones. I made my flight.

An early flight means sleep, drafts, wakefulness, day dreaming and excitement. A grey wet day with stops in Winnipeg and Edmonton. I spent time looking at the clouds and drifting into past and future imaginings of an ethereal world. I love clouds.

Flying over Great Slave Lake was tremendous, much like seeing Lake Superior from the air. Great Slave is the deepest lake in North America. Eight hours after my abrupt wakening I'm in Yellowknife.

No comments:

Post a Comment