Monday, August 24, 2009

Town and Bush

I walked into town and met Bill Kellett and his staff at Kellett Communications. I brought Prostate Man comic books for everyone. Bill and I had lunch at the Black Knight pub and talked about the biz. Interesting to hear about what's happening north of 60.

Sheila, Brian, Suzen, Eric, Kourtney and I headed for the island after work on Friday. Orlando's spending the weekend with his grandma so there won't be so much little boy activity. The winds were forecast to be 60 kilometres an hour but the day turned out to be really warm - 35 degrees on the deck when we left town. Unloaded, built a fire and cooked dinner. Beet holuptis for apps and subs for dinner, fireworks at dark.

Brian and I are the early risers. We chop and gather wood, get the fire going, drink coffee and chat. I like to take a walk along the shore of the island. Great exercise - you have to be nimble to maneuver the rocks. The only sounds are the wind and the waves. Brunch of ham, eggs and toast from homemade bread.

Sheila and I cracked out the Scrabble board in the aft. Some good games. I got whupped as Sheila is the reigning champion of the NWT.

Suzen, Eric and Kourtney went fishing in the smaller boat. Suzen caught a 15 pound Northern Pike. During the photo op I accidently slashed my finger on the fish's teeth. Ouch!

Meal's are a collaborative effort. I like to cook packages wrapped in tin foil on the coals of the fire. For dinner I baked Sheila's Yk cauliflower with parsley to go with marinated ribs and fried rice. Dessert is baked yellow plums and cloudberries served with oatmeal and sweet cherries warmed in a frying pan. Another exceptional meal.

Sunday is windy and damp so we mostly hang out in the cabin playing Scrabble and eating. Suzen and I take a walk to fish from shore. The lichen on the rocks is super slippery. On my sole cast I get a bad snag and give up being a fisherwoman.

Mid-afternoon we pack up and head home happy and smelling like wood smoke. Good bye to Spud Island for this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment