Monday, August 17, 2009

First Morning in NWT

I had a great sleep. I wore long johns, warm socks and my toque and slept under an eider down comforter that was made by the Inuit. Brian gets up early so he had coffee ready and was sitting outside when I woke up at 8:30 am. We built a fire and chatted. Brian was born in Chilliwack and has lived in the Territories since he was a teenager. His dad worked for the federal government helping the Inuit to make the transition to come off the land. His mom was a school teacher. Brian has worked for the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) for 30 years, most recently as a Infrastructure Administrator. His sister, Debbie lives up here and she works for Human Resources with GNWT. The family has had a long history and drama of the north. Resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and understanding of the cultural subleties very inform their outlook.

Breakfast time. Orlando and I gather about 30 plump orange Cloudberries. Brian cooks up eggs, back bacon and toast. Delicious. Then, it's into the enjoying the day.

1 comment:

  1. Betty... I love it. This sounds wonderful, and, through your writing, I can have a taste of your experience too. Wish I could walk over to your tent and sit by the fire, and have a cup of coffee... Enjoy, and thanks for sharing, Sue.
    PS - I was sorry I didn't see you Thursday before you left!!! I was out of town, and didn't realize you were leaving so early in the morning on Friday!!!!

    ReplyDelete