Friday, August 21, 2009

Thursday Shopping Trip

Sheila, Orlando and I walked downtown on the Frame Lake trail. Frame Lake is a large lake in the centre of the community. It was sunny and really warm. Lots of joggers and walkers on the trail. Orlando always finds insects and likes to discuss the subtleties of their existence. We checked out the two malls. Most of the souvenirs are junky and boring. So far my best find has been a t-shirt that says "Deep" and then in smaller letters "Great Slave Lake" that I found at the Vistor's Centre. We visited a small Inuit art gallery. There was a spectacular red metal sculpture of a woman's bust. One of the owner's - Martin, a jeweler - offered to polish my ring - he's a great, great nephew of Emily Carr.

The Salvation Army store is clean and organized. Sheila and I both find some treasures. For me: a red down-filled Lands End vest, an Eddie Bauer jean jacket, a Peter Gzowski t-shirt, an Open Sky Festival t-shirt from Fort Simpson and a Northwest Territories Power Corporation t-shirt. All of this for $22. Our lunch cost more! Sheila found a brand new Eddie Bauer jumper.

While we waited for Brian to get off work we played in a school playground. Orlando and I played tag on the equipment.

Our shopping trip concluded at the liquor store. Booze is pricey. I bought some Yukon Gold pale ale and a bottle of Shiraz. Sheila and Brian make their own wine - red and white - which they call Bush wine. It's an agreeable plonk!

No comments:

Post a Comment