Friday, May 27, 2011

20 DAYS

Encouraging Fred Cattroll to go to Jokkmokk. He's my cousin and a photographer of some renown. Grew up and lives in Ottawa. I remember him as a kid - a dreamer. He's over six and a half feet tall. We are from the Norway House Cree. Watch us Jokkmokk. 


I know how to make bannock. I crave muskrat meat in the spring. I gather spruce buds. I'm interested in plants. I'm attracted to berries. I love the smell of wood smoke,  I've made birch bark baskets. I know the ecstacy of running on snow in moccassins. So much lightness. Don't wear moccassins in an urban environment in the winter. B's advice. 


My grandmother and her family lived in a teepee. When my grandfather Charlie Dysart declared and negotiated his love for Josephine, what was his language? He was from Bangor, Maine. 


In The Pas, Manitoba - going to the movie theatre when I was a kid. There was an Indian side. It was to the left ... which was somewhat of a relief. I sat on the left edge of the middle section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment